Support from the HASS Hub for all RPI Students!
Click the following links for more information; such as policies, guidelines, objectives, and where to find courses that fulfill these requirements.
- The HASS Core (see below)
- Transfer Credit Approvals for HASS Courses
- Planning your HASS Minor (selecting courses, declaration)
- Duals with HASS Majors (exploring, creating a plan of study)
- Connect with a HASS Hub Advisor (see below)
The HASS Core
As part of their B.S. degree program, all Rensselaer undergraduates take a selection of HASS courses referred to as the HASS Core.
Objectives of the HASS Core:
- Provide “big picture” as well as community-scale perspective, advancing students’ understanding of how the contemporary, globalized world works, and of the positioning and perspectives of different social groups.
- Provide both a historical perspective and a sense of how change has been and can be brought about.
- Introduce, expose, and cultivate diverse communication skills and critical perspectives on communication, encouraging students to continually evaluate rhetorical forms and styles of argument, supporting data, and media representations.
- Develop a critical perspective and awareness.
HASS Core Requirements:
Click the links below for more information on each specific requirement.
- HASS Inquiry Course (INQR)
- Communication Intensive HASS Course
- HASS Integrative Pathway(12 credits)
- 4000-Level HASS Course (4 credits)
- 20 to 24 Credits depending on your major (see below)
Select your school below for your major’s specific requirements:
Each school at RPI has varying requirements to complete the HASS Core. For this reason, we encourage you to first review the following school-specific information and to meet with your assigned Academic Advisor before connecting with the HASS Hub.
Below is a general HASS Core worksheet that will allow you to map out your HASS Requirements for any RPI major. Be sure that you are following the guidelines specific to your school/major (linked above). Some schools may have provided their own worksheet that may better suit your major’s needs.
- Make sure you explore the “HASS Core Requirements” above for specific guidelines
- Discover how one course can meet multiple requirements
Connect with the HASS Hub:
Office Hours: Weekdays, 9 to noon and 1 to 4 pm
Location: Russell Sage Laboratory, Room 4307
RECOMMENDED for general HASS Core Questions:
Remote Drop-In Hours: WebEx Wednesday
- Available every Wednesday (fall, winter, spring, and summer!)
- 5-to-10-minute remote video chats with a Hub Advisor
- Perfect for questions about Minors, Pathways, and the HASS Core!
- Sign up form will open at 9 am Wednesday Morning
If you are unable to attend our weekly drop-ins, you are welcome to send us an email. Please allow 24 to 48 business hours for a response. HASSinfo@rpi.edu
For larger HASS Core Questions: Typically a referral from your Major Advisor.
Appointments: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday
- Meet one-on-one with a HASS Hub Advisor
- 20-minute meetings (in-person or remote options)
- Great if you are thinking of adding a HASS major!
- Use for larger HASS Core Concerns (Advisor referrals)
- Book now!