Support from the HASS Hub for all RPI Students!
Click the following links for more information; such as policies, guidelines, objectives, and where to find courses that fulfill your graduation requirements.
The HASS Core
As part of their B.S. degree program, all Rensselaer undergraduates take a selection of HASS courses referred to as the HASS Core.
Objectives of the HASS Core:
- Provide “big picture” as well as community-scale perspective, advancing students’ understanding of how the contemporary, globalized world works, and of the positioning and perspectives of different social groups.
- Provide both a historical perspective and a sense of how change has been and can be brought about.
- Introduce, expose, and cultivate diverse communication skills and critical perspectives on communication, encouraging students to continually evaluate rhetorical forms and styles of argument, supporting data, and media representations.
- Develop a critical perspective and awareness.
HASS Core Requirements:
Click the links below for more information on each specific requirement.
- HASS Inquiry Course (INQR) | Complete within first two semesters
- Communication Intensive HASS Course | Complete within the first three semesters
- HASS Integrative Pathway (12 credits) | Recommended to complete before your final semester
- 4000-Level HASS Course (4 credits)
- 20 to 24 Credits depending on your major (see below)
Select your school below for your major’s specific requirements:
Each school at RPI has varying requirements to complete the HASS Core. For this reason, we encourage you to first review the following school-specific information and to meet with your assigned Academic Advisor before connecting with the HASS Hub.
- Lally School of Management | 24 Credits
- School of Architecture | 20 Credits
- School of Engineering | 20-22 Credits
- School of HASS | 24 Credits
- School of Science | 24 Credits
Below is a general HASS Core worksheet that will allow you to map out your HASS Requirements for any RPI major. Be sure that you are following the guidelines specific to your school/major.
- Make sure you click all the links in the “HASS Core Requirements” above for specific guidelines
- Discover how one course can meet multiple requirements
Connect with the HASS Hub:
RECOMMENDED for general HASS Core Questions:
Remote Drop-In Hours: WebEx Wednesday
- Available every Wednesday (fall, winter, spring, and summer!)
- Drop-ins outside of Wednesday are not guaranteed!
- 5-to-10-minute remote video chats with a Hub Advisor
- Perfect for quick questions about Minors, Pathways, and the HASS Core!
- Sign up form will open at 9 am Wednesday
If you are unable to attend our weekly drop-ins, you are welcome to send us an email. Please allow 1 to 2 business days for a response. We may still recommend meeting with one of our Advisors in a drop-in or meeting depending on the context of your question. HASSinfo@rpi.edu