Transfer Credits

If you are coming in with AP or IB courses, you should use the Office of Admissions website to help you determine how those courses will fit into your curriculum plan here at RPI. Specific information regarding AP scores can be found here and specific information regarding IB credit can be found here.

If you think you are going to earn credit for AP or IB courses, you can register for a course the next level up; i.e., if you believe you’re going to earn a 5 on the AP Calculus AB exam, you will earn 4 credits for MATH 1010: Calculus I, and you should consider registering for MATH 1020: Calculus II. You may want to take this test, designed by the School of Science, to help you prepare for calculus.

You will receive communication stating which Rensselaer courses you have received credit for (if your scores were sent to RPI). You will have a chance to discuss this during Advising and Student Orientation if you have questions or need to make changes.

If you plan to transfer other college courses in to Rensselaer, you will need to have the course evaluated by the Office of the Registrar. Catalog course descriptions and Incoming Freshmen Transfer Credit Procedure/High School Certification Form must be sent to the Office of the Registrar by June 25 for each course. Transfer credit will not be given for any college course that was used to obtain your high school diploma.

“Just the Facts"

  • Use the Office of the Admissions website
  • Maximum of 32 transfer credits allowed; only 20 of which may be AP/IB credits or other equivalent credits.
  • AP exams need at least a 5 to earn you credit


The School of Humanities, Arts, and Social Sciences
Russell Sage Laboratory (SAGE) 5304, 110 8th Street, Troy, NY 12180
(518) 276-6575

Back to top