Major requirements are dictated by your department. These generally consist of a core set of courses that range from a total of 36 to 56 credits. These requirements include several named (mandatory) courses, as well as a selection of other named electives within the major.
The Rensselaer Catalog lays out the required courses for your major, as well as provides you with a suggestion on the sequence of your courses.
If you have any questions in regard to transferring credits, please review the information above. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us with questions as well.
- 24 credits total; no more than 8 transfer credits(Transfer credit limit may be waived for transfer students if courses were taken at the previous institution, however, the limit for AP/IB credits still applies.)
- Maximum 8 credits Pass/No Credit
- Math, Hard Science, or Computer Science
- Check the Rensselaer Catalog for any mandatory courses
Specific questions regarding the Science Core can be answered by the School of Science Hub.
- 24 credits; maximum of 8 transfer credits (Transfer credit limit may be waived for transfer students if courses were taken at the previous institution, however, the limit for AP/IB credits still applies.)
- Engineering majors must complete 20 credits of HASS courses in addition to the credits earned associated with the three-course sequence of professional development (PD) courses
- Architecture majors must complete 20 credits of HASS courses. Four credits of the HASS core requirements are embedded within the Architectural Genealogy and Cloud Atlas
- One Communication Intensive course- this must be taken within the first 3 semesters
- One HASS Inquiry course- this must be taken in the first 2 semesters
- Approved 12-credit integrative pathway
- One 4000-level course
The following presentations contain detailed information about the HASS Core requirements and Integrative Pathways:
Students may also find the HASS Core Checklist to be useful when determining how their courses/credits will count towards their HASS Core requirements. Specific questions regarding the HASS Core can be answered by the HASS Hub.
These courses can be used to explore new ideas and content. Feel free to use them to earn a minor in a field of interest or to complete a dual major.