HASS Hub Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Here you will find answers to some of the most frequently asked questions that advisors in the Student Services Hub receive from students:


1.   Where can I find <HASS Faculty Member>’s email and office location? What are their office hours?

Students can find a faculty member’s campus office location and contact details by visiting RPInfo and using the Directory Search feature. Students are advised to contact a faculty member directly to inquire about office hours.


2.   Where can I find academic deadlines and important dates?

The RPI Academic Calendar can be found through the Registrar’s Office website.


3.   Courses on my Degree Works Audit are not listed correctly. Can my Hub advisor fix this for me?

A HASS student's Hub advisor can work with them to review their Degree Works report and identify errors that need to be corrected. These errors can then be reported to the Registrar so that appropriate changes can be made to the student's Degree Works record. Students should be aware that Degree Works is meant to be used as an advising tool and does not represent an official account of a student's progress to degree completion. If a student has concerns about their degree progress, the best course of action is to consult with their faculty and/or Hub advisor. 


4.   I would like to transfer some credits. How can I do this?

To transfer a course, students must complete a Transfer Credit Approval form. Students should follow the form instructions and use the Transfer Course Guide to determine the RPI equivalent course used for the course or courses that they plan to transfer in. If the transferred course is already in the Transfer Course Guide, students can bring the completed form to the Registrar’s Office. HASS courses that are not in the Transfer Course Guide need to be reviewed by a designated evaluator for HASS before the form is submitted to the Registrar's Office. All online courses need to be evaluated and pre-approved prior to enrolling in the course, even if they appear in the Transfer Course Guide, and before the form is submitted to the Registrar's Office. 


5.   I would like to add a minor in HASS. How can I do this?

To add a HASS minor, students will need to complete a Minor Approval Form. Once students determine which minor they would like to add, they can visit the Rensselaer Catalog to look up the course requirements for their intended minor. Students can use this as a guide to help them complete the form. Once the form is complete, students will need to have the form signed by their faculty advisor and an undergraduate advisor in the Hub. Changes to the courses used to satisfy minor requirements can be applied by submitting a new Minor Approval Form as a revision.


6.   I would like to add / remove a dual major in HASS. How can I do this? 

Students adding or removing a dual major in HASS must complete an Undergraduate Change of Major / Change of Status form through the Registrar and follow the form instructions. Undergraduate advisors in the Hub will sign as the Curriculum Coordinator and assign a faculty advisor for HASS majors1

1Students interested in adding MUSC, GSAS, or DSIS as a major should contact a Senior Student Services Administrator in the HASS Hub for directions on how to submit a portfolio.


7.   Where can I find forms? 

Registrar (numbered) forms can be found on the Registrar’s Office website. Graduate degree-specific forms can be found on the Office of Graduate Education website.


8.   What are the HASS Core requirements and where can I find more information about them? 

For students entering in Fall 2019, HASS Core requirements are as follows: 

  • 24 credits (ENGR- 22 credits/ARCH- 20 credits); maxiumum of 8 transfer credits
  • One Communication Intensive course - this must be taken within the first 3 semesters
  • One HASS Inquiry course - this must be taken in the first 2 semesters
  • Approved 12-credit integrative pathway
  • One 4000-level course

The following presentations contain detailed information about the HASS Core requirements and Integrative Pathways: 

Students may also find the HASS Core Checklist to be useful when determining how their courses/credits will count towards their HASS Core requirements. 

Students who entered prior to Fall 2019 follow the previous HASS Core requirements as follows:

  • 24 credits (ENGR- 22 credits/ARCH- 20 credits)
  • One Communication Intensive course
  • One 4-credit 4000-level course
  • At least 8 credits of Humanities and 8 credits of Social Science courses
  • 8-credit depth requirement (2 courses with the same prefix, 1 above the 1000-level)
  • Maxiumum of 12 1000-level credits
  • Maximum of 8 transfer/AP credits
  • Maximum of 8 P/NC credits 

9.   Where can I find information on course offerings in HASS?

Students can find specific HASS course information at the RPI catalog website. Students can also visit the Class Hour Schedules website to see courses that are currently being offered and courses that will be available for registration in the next semester.


10.  Do I need to declare a concentration?  If so, when and how should I declare my concentration?

EMAC, GSAS, and EART majors declare a concentration. The concentration must be approved by the student's faculty advisor or Student Services via completing section D of the Undergraduate Change of Major/Change of Status Form [10] with the Registrar’s Office. Concentrations should be declared as early as they are identified—by the end of the sophomore year at the latest.


11.  Do I need to meet with my advisor to register for classes?

Yes, all students are required to participate in a Student-Advisor Meeting (SAM) each semester with their faculty or staff advisor prior to course registration. Your advisor(s) is not only there to offer suggestions about your educational path, but to ensure that you keep on track for your major, your HASS core requirements, your remaining degree requirements, and your expected graduation date. Meeting with your advisor1 is the only way for your SAM requirement to be met—and for you to be cleared to register for classes.

1Dual majors are required to meet with an advisor from both majors.

12.  I'm having some difficulty registering for classes. Is there a good troubleshooting resource or general "how-to" guide to registration available?

The HASS Hub has created a short video on how to register. This video is available on our Student Orientation website. Students may find this video to be helpful as a guide to getting started or when encountering a problem during the registration process.